Monday, February 28, 2005

Oscar happiness

Why am I happy about the Oscars? Because, here on the West Coast, they start at 5:30 pm. They were done before 9! Last year I had to stay up until midnight to watch it all. Rob fell asleep last year. He didn't last night! (despite the fact that he spent all day Saturday travelling to and from Mammoth (5 hours each way!!!) to snowboard)

I usually try to see every nominated movie, but this year I haven't seen most of the movies. I think I saw more movies that were up for the Independent Spirit Awards. So I didn't really care who won, but I was happy with the fact that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Sideways won the screenwriting awards.

Most of the dresses weren't very memorable. Too many mermaid dresses. But I did like Natalie Portman's dress. I thought Cate Blanchett's makeup was beautiful. And at least Hillary Swank wore something different, even if it did look funny on TV.

But, sigh, giving the awards from the audience! My favorite moment was when the one of nominees pretended to be asleep as they introduced him.

During the pre-show, I announced to Rob that I didn't like Scarlett Johansson, which was a surprise to him. But then she said that Judy Garland was a great inspiration to her and that she loves Meet Me in St. Louis. My ice heart melted just a bit.

Finally, an "only in LA" moment. I went to my favorite Chinese Chicken Salad eatery, where they had a sign on the door: "Due to the Oscars, we will only be open from 12 to 5 on Sunday. Salads, appetizers and chicken wings only." I forgot to take a photo.

No comments: