Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Tale of Two Madisons

I didn't plan to post again before Thanksgiving, but I decided to try a little sewing this morning and correct the flaws of my first Madison Bag.


Yep, this is my first bag in all of her glory. The outside fabric is canvas, and I added interfacing to everything. When it came time to topstitching the top, the machine was not happy to have to go through 6 layers of canvas, 8 layers of interfacing and two layers of lining when it hit the handles. So it gathered and puckered a bunch. I guess it doesn't look that bad in the picture, but it looks horrible in person.

For Madison 2.0, I didn't put interfacing on any of the canvas, I made the top go straight across, and I added a button tab.

Ah! Much better. I am happy with this bag.

Look at the button I found:

It has a chrysanthemum to match the lining!

Will I forsake knitting for sewing? Well, I like sewing because of the speed. I finished this bag in one morning. It's also a bit forgiving, especially when you add lining. No one can see my messy seams. But I don't find sewing relaxing. I can't sit in front of the TV and sew. Rob and I can't talk while I sew. So, I think a mixture of both will probably be best for me.

I hope everyone eats lots of turkey tomorrow and takes a nice nap!

8 comments:

Angela said...

I love the button! Too bad you can't always find a button to match with everything perfectly. Happy Thanksgiving!

MinaG said...

love it! love the button!

goodkarma said...

Super cute. Love the matching chrysanthemum lining/button. Fun! Happy Thanksgiving, pally!

Lisa said...

I love that bag. Good job.

Felicia from sweetgeorgia said...

Hmm, yes, in late highschool days I dropped knitting for sewing. GASP. But it was the feeling of not having to create the fabric before sewing it together. It felt faster. More instant gratification.... But then when I started knitting again, I discovered Rowan Big Wool and the sweaters you can knit in a day.

I guess now that I'm at the point where I'm dyeing wool to spin into yarn to knit into fabric to make into weareable items...phew... I must be SO over instant gratification!

Lovely bag, Mari, and the button is precious!
Happy Thanksgiving!

eastern white said...

i love this cute bag. the fabric and the flower motif is so cute!! so, do you like your sewing machine?

amber said...

The purse looks awesome! I've never wanted to sew but this actually inspired me. (maybe someday once I whittle down my yarn stash I'll check out sewing) :)

Your Lace Leaf Pullover also looks great.

-Amber

Siow Chin said...

I'm learning to sew too and am having loads of fun but I'm not finding sewing quick at all. I guess I still have a long way to go. I will not give up knitting though. Knitting is so portable, I knit wherever possible but sewing, I can only do it at home when the children are good.