Sunday, November 27, 2005

Lace Leaf Pullover - Revisited

A couple of weeks ago, Purly Whites mentioned it would be helpful if knitters did a follow up on their projects - if they've worn them, if the yarn's held up, etc. I thought it was a great idea, and I'm going to start that by reviewing a project I finished only two weeks ago - my lace leaf pullover.


The main reason I'm talking about this project is that I forgot to put gauge info on my previous entry and a few people have asked me for it. My gauge before blocking was 11 stitches and 14 rows on size 11 needles.

But then last week I blocked the sweater... and here's how it looks now.

It might be hard to see the difference, but the body and sleeves lengthened by 1 1/2". I originally knit it small to compensate for the silk content in the Jo Sharp Silkroad Ultra, worrying about the stretch factor of silk. I am really happy with the fit now. After blocking, the yarn drapes really well. My stitch gauge didn't change, but the row gauge increased to 13.5 rows for 4".

I think I'll post about some of my former projects when I'm actually wearing a sweater out and we happen to have a camera.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! Can you believe Christmas is right around the corner?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great, Mari. You, or at least I, could definitely see the difference in the drape. It looks more flowy and less stiff than in the original picture

Anna said...

Wow, this turned out great. I've seen this pattern loads of times in the book, and never really got it. Well done! I like how it loosened up in the blocking--perfect!

Anonymous said...

Love the extra length the blocking gave it - I'm knitting my sleeves now, and if I'm not happy with the gauge/fit (or it seems I'll not have enough) I think I'll have to go for the Jo Sharp Ultra. That colour looks great on you too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did a review! I still love this sweater. Did you wash your swatch after you knit it? If so, did the gauge change the same way?

Brooklyn Handspun said...

That's a great pattern, and I like the extra length after blocking. Sometimes a small change can make a big difference.

Atouria said...

I love that you've updated your sweater after you've worn it. It's great to know the wearability of certain patterns and certain yarns.

I just thought your leaf pullover looked great before ~ it did. After blocking it, it looks even better! I didn't think that was possible. Great job!

Anonymous said...

It looks good on you.

Anonymous said...

It still looks great, wow. I haven't washed any of my projects yet (I know, bad) because I don't wear them quite often. It's partly because California weather is so... warm. Anyway, thanks for the update. I do love that sweater pattern!


- MJ