Saturday, May 28, 2005

Orangeade, anyone?

Here's the debut of my Phildar Onde sweater...


Pattern: Phildar Onde sweater (Le Pull Raglan Couleur Orangeade!) from Phildar Tendances Printemps 2004
Yarn - Phil Onde in Orangeade (2 balls) and White (3 balls)

We woke up early today and went to eat breakfast and then made it to the Santa Monica Pier for a stroll. I think we looked like tourists. No, we definitely looked like tourists! Who else would be up at 8 am on a Saturday taking pictures?

I like this sweater but, as usual, there are a couple things that bug me. On the plus side, the yarn knits up very soft and light. It's the perfect cool spring morning sweater. I like the coloration of the yarn. However, the original pattern had a belt buckle above the opening on the top of the front. I didn't have one and I didn't think I could find one so I kept the opening and just knitting the ribbed top in the round. I think I should have just knitted it solid without a hole. Also, I just can't knit ribbing nice. It looks icky. I'm hoping that a run through the washing machine might help the ribbing and the wonky hole.

In the end, I think the success of a sweater for me has to be the whole process: the cost, the knitting and the final product. The cost was very low... I can't remember exactly how much the yarn cost but it wasn't that much. The knitting was somewhat tortuous - size 4 needles and the twine-like yarn made my hands hurt. But the white yarn was easier to knit that the orange yarn - I'm not sure why. Maybe it was psychological. And I will wear this sweater in public, so that's a success, right?

What made me even more happier than finishing this sweater was...

...picking up a new DVR (Tivo) receiver from our cable company this morning! We've been told our lives will never be the same. I will never miss my three favorite TV shows again - Veronica Mars, Battlestar Galactica (stop laughing! it's good!) and Lost.

8 comments:

froggyknits.com said...

great sweater and oh to have dvr!

MinaG said...

love it, you know you can hand down any sweaters you aren't fond of, hee hee...

winnie said...

holy moley..you're a knitting machine. all your sweaters looks so awesome.. i can't believe how great every piece looks. thanks for stopping by my blog..i am in awe of all your knitting FO's

Diana said...

Wearing the sweater in public definitely makes it a success! Most of my sweaters have to "percolate" in my closet for a few weeks/months before they see the light of day. Yours looks great!

Purly Whites said...

Congratulations on the DVR. Tivo is the best ever!

The sweater looks great. I love the color.

yumi said...

I ditto what Mina says. hee hee

shizzknits said...

Congrats on your sweater (lovely) and the Tivo! BTW I like Battlestar Galactica too- I'm dying for the next season. LOL

huay in LA said...

tivo and sweaters. a dangerous combination. just look at how happy you are!!!
(i will enjoy watching Lost on your tivo.)