Saturday, September 03, 2005

Union Square Market Pullover - Fini!


(Please ignore my hair - the wind was blowing!)

Pattern - Union Square Market Pullover by Kate Gilbert, Interweave Knits Fall 2005
Yarn - 6 balls (and a tiny bit of another ball) of RYC Cashsoft 4 ply in loganberry, 1 ball of Cashsoft 4 ply in monet, size 2 needles

I can't believe I finished this sweater! Even more surprising to me was that I only got sick of knitting it at one time, and that was after finishing the body. I have to confess that I miss knitting it just a bit. But most importantly, I am very happy with the sweater. Yay! Some notes:

- Cashsoft is a great yarn. Easy on the hands, super soft and only split occasionally. It makes a warm fabric that I think will be perfect for a fall sweater.

- I was debating whether I should have chose a different color contrast yarn. The light/dark purple was a little too matchy-matchy. But I think I will wear it more than if I chose a radically different color.


- The flap is the most problematic part of the sweater. I blocked it as per the directions, but it kind of moves around when worn. I think I just have to get used to it moving around and just live with it - it's not that it looks bad, it's just not as fixed as I thought it would be.


- I wanted to chose special buttons, but I had a hard time deciding. In the end, I just got shell buttons, and maybe I'll change them at some point.


(I'm channeling the model from the magazine - this position isn't as easy as it looks!)
- When I started the sleeves, I realized that the cuffs would be way too large for me. I adjusted the pattern from 92 stitches to 72 stitches, but I increased the sleeve to the correct number of stitches in the pattern by the time I got to the sleeve cap so I wouldn't have to rework them. Success! I also magic looped the sleeves, and I have to block the sleeves one more time to get rid of the ridges.

I must say that I am very proud of this sweater. Mainly because I subbed yarn successfully, I got both stitch and row gauge and I made some adjustments that worked in the end. There was a topic on the Knitter's Review forum this week about what's the difference between someone who knits and a knitter. I think with this project I can proudly call myself a knitter - or at least someone who's crazy enough to do an entire sweater on size 2 needles!

I leave you with the most frequently used knitted item(s) that I've made:

I made the sides too high so I've folded them down and with the weather cooling down, Maggie and Unki sleep in their Pies daily. I love seeing them use their Pies!

22 comments:

amber said...

That sweater looks awesome. This is also on my "Must Make" list. And I think I'll probably copy your sleeve modification as it looks like it worked out well.

Jessica said...

Your sweater looks gorgeous. Nice job!

Lauren said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

goodkarma said...

Mari, you inspire me once again! Light purple/dark purple is not too matchy, it's gorgeous! Yay! I do like the buttons you chose. And the fit is fabulous. :)

Terhi said...

Really beautiful! :-)

winnie said...

good lawd woman... that is amazing.

MinaG said...

Wow Mrs. Knitter! Amazing sweater!
And I love the Pies!

wakana said...

very beautiful job! I love the way it fits. It's just perfect!! I like the buttons, too, and of course the yarn... i love that yarn. It feels great, right? You are always so fast... I still haven't started yet, but i am totally motivated now... what are you going to make next?

Diana said...

Thanks for all the commentary about your sweater.. I'll keep those things in mind when I make mine!

Anonymous said...

Your USMP looks awesome! I love the buttons you picked! I wish we had a place around here to get some nice looking buttons, all we have is hobby lobby (cheap plastic buttons). Your sweater temps me to make one. Can't wait to see what else you knit up!

savannahchik said...

beautiful! all those details make for a stunning combo. and that cashsoft will be heavenly to wear. i'm really impressed!

ps - if you haven't done so already, i'm sure kate would love to hear that you made one.

Sweetpea4kids said...

That looks really beautiful. Great job.

MissLucy said...

Congratulations on a job well done! It looks very nice!

Anonymous said...

congrats on a fabu sweater! and i love the kitty pies!

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks so fabulous on you! You did an amazing job. I really hope you wear it a lot, because, seriously, you look good!

And I'm so glad the kitties are fighting over their beds.

Gina said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the color choices.

robtk said...

it's on the top of my list, but then again everything you knit is AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

So pretty.. I love the colors you chose, and it looks like the fit is perfect. The kitty pi's are totally inspiring me to knit one for my cat!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I don't think the colors look too matchy matchy. It's probably better that they are that way in the long run so the sweater as a whole "matches" with more things.

jen said...

Beautiful job on your sweater!

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

It looks fantastic. You should drop Kate a note, if you haven't already. I bet she's love to see it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's the nicest Union Square I've seen since the magazine!!!